Sunday 21 August 2011

Why effective communication skills are important to me

Communication is the basis of human interactions. The paradox of communications is that it unites as well as divides people in the world. Words and actions can be misconstrued either deliberately or unintentionally which can incite hatred among different groups of people. This does not only happen within the human community but also the animal kingdom at large. Hence, effective communications is one of the most basic yet vital trait that people should try and hone.
I for once never really understood or appreciated the importance of effective communication until recently-two and a half years ago. Two and a half years ago, I was called up to serve my country and during that period, I met many people with diverse backgrounds-race, religion, education etc. I realised that people had to be treated differently; there was no one-size-fits-all style of communication. Some needed more motivation than the others, while those who missed home just needed a listening ear-the act of listening in itself was a way of communication, showing your support and care. I realised that it was the little things, which we take for granted so much in our fast paced lives that matter. Listening and just being there for somebody when they are down and out.
After my national service, I had a very long vacation and moved on to work at Prada as a sales assistant and then as a media representative in a sport firm. I realised another important aspect of communication during my time at these organisations. Most of the people I was working with were substantially older than me and I learned the importance of tone. I felt it awkward to ask my colleagues to help me do certain things at first but overcame this by varying my tone. I made sure I was respectful and my colleagues were always more than willing to help me.
There are so many aspects to effective communication and I joined this class to better understand myself and also learn the skills needed to be an effective communicator.

5 comments:

  1. Hello!
    First I would like to make a comment on the design: I don't really like the black wallpaper with a white text, it is not confortable to read :)
    The content is really good, I liked how you related your own experience to the topic.
    However, i don't really understand what you mean with "varying my tone". How was your tone before you changed it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nesrine,
    Thank you very much for the comments. I chose these colours because I felt that due to the colour contrast it would be easier to read. I will probably be changing the design soon, adding pictures and colours to make it more vibrant and more pleasant for the reader.
    For the part of 'varying my tone', I basically changed the way that I talked to them compared to the way that I talk with my friends or schoolmates-being more serious and respectful. Thank you again for the comments. I really appreciate them. See you around school.
    Cheers,
    Ramandeep

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ramandeep,

    I liked how you have illustrated the importance of effective communication in your relationships with others. Having gone through the same experience in National Service, I agree that there is no one-size-fits-all way of communication. The tone of your statement can affect the message in many ways, such as credibility. It is really important to know the audience that you are communicating with.

    I like how you have defined your perspective of communication in the introduction paragraph in relation to people relationships, which allows a good transition into the main body, leading the reader to the rest of your ideas. It was a really enjoyable read!

    Cheers,
    Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!!

    Your insight into the paradox is really nice. So true, the part about no one-size-fits-all. I understand what you mean about being awkward when asking other more senior people for help: it's not a natural thing to me. Your ideas flow nicely from one paragraph to another. Btw, I think white on black is fine, readable but dull. Mine isn't much better, gonna have to change it. See you thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ramandeep, for this clear and concise post. I really appreciate the statement that communication is a paradox.

    As for the way you develop your ideas, in your moving from the specific to the general, from your own experience to the general learning, I can appreciate your newfound understanding.

    For example, you discuss your national service, presenting concrete details on the value of something simple like listening, and then explain how listening is a form of caring and support. Well put.

    Like Nesrine, I feel that your final thought on the importance of tone could be explained in more detail---just a sentence or two would do that.

    I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete