Saturday 12 November 2011

We Only Part to Meet Again!

As they say, all good things must come to an end. This class has ended but I take away many cherished memories from it- the lessons learned as well as the friendships forged. I still remember the first day I visited the CORS website and was contemplating on the modules that I wanted to take, I came across this module, and instantly, this was one of my top choices. Just by the module name itself, I felt that this module was very real, very practical. I thought it was a mini stage for the challenges that we all have to face-and soon, the working world. Furthermore, I heard that students will have to make many presentations in NUS and felt that this will be definitely giving me a head start.
I mentioned in my first post that communication is the basis of human interactions and I joined this class to better understand myself in the way I communicate and also to learn skills needed to be an effective communicator. Fast forward 13 weeks and I definitely have no regrets about the choice I made, this course has been so much more than I had expected. I would not say that I have become an effective communicator-nowhere near it, but I am really proud and happy with the improvements that I have made and would hope to continue improving in the learning journey called life.
For me, one of the highlights of this module was the constant emphasis on verbal and non-verbal cues for presentations. The world is a stage and we are constantly presenting to people, whether it is a simple conversation or a professional presentation. I never really took these cues seriously before stepping into this class. In fact, I didn’t even know much about them. The only thing I remember I knew was voice projection. Every time we had a presentation in class in the past, the emphasis was on making sure the person at the back of the class could hear what you are saying. Tone, gestures, emphasis on certain words etc were totally alien to me. I definitely take away a lot from this class in terms of being able to present in front of a crowd. I still feel nervous everytime I speak in front of a crowd but I think have become more confident now.
I would like to thank Brad for all the comments, the good and the bad. They have definitely allowed me to grow and try to improve myself. I would also like to thank Desmond, one of my first few friends in this class and also my peer teaching group mate for all the help, ES2007S or for my other modules. Megha and Rami for being really awesome group mates for the research proposal; it was really fun working with you guys. I would also like to thank the class because each and every one of you left an impact in my life and made this journey a very memorable one. I also got to learn a lot from you guys; about life, about university, about you. So a huge Thank You for giving me this opportunity.
ES2007S was more than just a school module; it was a lesson on life. Keep in touch :)  

10 comments:

  1. Hi Ramandeep,

    I think that it is good that you have taken this course in your first semester itself. I had this opportunity only towards the end of my university life.

    It seems that you have clearly focused on your improvements towards presenting. I agree with you that it is a very important part of this course.

    I could note that you have improved in other aspects as well. For example, this blogpost itself, is very nicely done and adheres to the 7Cs. A little bit of background, followed by the course experience and ending with a positive conclusion - it appears complete while still being concise.

    All the best for the university journey ahead and be sure to have some fun along the way !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ramandeep,
    thank you for the lovely post, I agree with Ram that it is well written!
    You are just in your first semester, but you have now gained valuable experience in presenting in front of class and in communicating effectively with people from different countries ;)You will definitely need these skills either during your studies or later.
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the other readers mention, this is a well written reflection, Ramandeep. I appreciate the way you look back to the point where you were visiting CORS looking for modules to take, thus contextualizing your choice of ES2007S. I also like how you refer to your first post and your initial study objectives. But it's this statement, one that in a broad sense encapsulates the raison d'etre of ES2007S, that resonates loudest with me: "The world is a stage and we are constantly presenting to people, whether it is a simple conversation or a professional presentation."

    Yes indeed. You've pinpointed something that is so obvious and yet so often overlooked. You also mention briefly how you've been able to better understand the skills involved, which of course warms my heart.

    Thank you for all your effort this term. In the past it has been stated that for Year 1 students, ES2007S might be too challenging. You prove that assumption untrue.

    All the best in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ramandeep,

    Nice knowing you from the course! Like the others have mentioned, the skills you've learned from the course will be useful throughout your time in the university. The writing skills you have shown in your post will definitely be a great help in your reports later on.

    From your oral presentation, we could really see the improvements you have made from the peer teaching. Great job!

    Communications aside, go Arsenal! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey deep,

    Really nice to know you, a energetic, pleasant guy who always dress in fashion.=)
    Learning from our conversation that you are a little bit in stress in your first year. Don't worry too much. Try to relax yourself and don't panic for assessments. In the same time, try to do your work early and keep up with the speed you your courses. If you have any doubts ask me or any other engineering seniors.

    All the best! Still several years to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yo bro
    Your reflection definitely encapsulates the module and lessons learned, together with my thoughts on the entire course. Year 1 is actually a good year to take this module, providing us with a strong foundation for the years to come. I thought you were a good communicator right from the start, and you've definitely improved so much more. You paid attention to all the small details and thus you've become a really effective communicator. All the best for finals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everybody for all the kind words. It has been a wonderful journey and I hope to have a reunion after the exams. Until then, all the best guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yo deep! (lol)

    Yes I also took this mod due to the email sent by Brad and its practicality etc.
    Although I didn't have a lot of chances working with you, thanks for sharing with me your intern in the football club. haha if you remember the first lesson's break ice exercise. It was chaotic but you were the first few persons I spoke to. Enjoyed the class with ya around, thanks :) All the best for finals!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi bro,
    today I read all your comments again, thanks for all your concern and help to my learning of English.
    The cooperation of peer-teaching is really nice with you. You are quite witty, passionate, and hospitable.
    Let's keep in touch. I will deliver your desire stuffs after I come back from Beijing.
    Good luck with your Matlab. Thanks bro.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Ramandeep! :)

    I loved your post. It mentions me! :D :D Haha, it was indeed an absolute delight to work with you. Even though you are elder to me, you always reminded me of my little cousin brother back home. :) I hope we take some more modules together in NUS. Lets go through CORS together next time. Haha! And feel free to drop by my room in UTown. We can chill and hang out and dream about our social zone. :)

    As Brad mentioned, I think that statement about us presenting at all times was very profound. And the last statement, I totally agree with you. This module was a life lesson. We will always remember Brad as the 'awesomest' teacher we ever had. :)

    Goodluck with you exams and Matlab!! :) You and Rami should continue your fight for me. :P :)

    Cheers,
    Megha

    ReplyDelete